Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 76001560
Historic Name CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Description of Significance DESIGNED BY LOCAL ARCHITECT J. W. SMITH, THE LAWTON CARNEGIE LIBRARY OPENED IN 1922, THE LAST CARNEGIE LIBRARY BUILT IN OKLAHOMA. THE CLASSICAL REVIVAL STYLE BRICK BUILDING HAS AN INTERESTING CORNER ENTRY. LISTED IN ANTIONAL REGISTER 8/19/76.
Current Name SAME
Address S.W. B AVENUE AND S.W. 5TH STREET
City LAWTON
County COMANCHE
Lot
Block 18
Current Section SEC 31
Township T2N
Range R11W
Type BUILDING
Historic Function LIBRARY
Current Function CITY HALL
Area Signficance 1 EDUCATION
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 6/6/92
Year Built 1922
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder J.W. SMITH, ARCHITECT
Architectural Style CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material GLASS
Decorative Details PARAPET, DENTIL, OPEN EAVES,
Condition GOOD
Comments DESCRIPTION OF RESOURCE (CONTINUED): ON THE EAST SIDE, REQUIRING NEW DOUBLE GLASS DOORS ON THAT. THIS BUILDING WAS PLACED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER IN 1976 AND WAS REDOCUMENTED AS PART OF THIS SURVEY.
Restricted N